Latin Patriarchal Vicariate of Jordan

Al Misdar Parish - Christ the King Church

 

Contact us

Adress

MISDAR
P.O.B. 10041
11151 Amman
JORDAN

Telephone: +962 6 477 2623

Location

Holy Mass Schedule

Day / OccasionTimeNotes
Sunday10:30 AMMorning Mass
Sunday7:00 PMEvening Mass
Daily Mass6:00 PMWeekdays
First Friday of the Month9:00 AMArabic Mass
Every Friday10:00 AMEnglish Mass

Activities & Events Schedule

Activity / GroupDayTimeFrequency
Youth (University & Working)Tuesday7:00 PMWeekly
Marian Ladies ConfraternityWednesday4:30 PMWeekly
Scouts Group (All Ages)Saturday4:30 PMWeekly
ChoirSaturday6:30 PMWeekly
Caritas / Charity Committee MeetingOnce a month
Parish Council MeetingTwice a month

In the Bible, this region was known as Ammon or the Ammonite Kingdom. Rabbath Ammon, great city of the Ammonites in the Old Testament, was the capital of the kingdom and famous for its springs and citadel. King David sent Joab, head of the Israelite army, to besiege Rabbath, after being insulted by King Nahash. On taking the town, David burnt many of the inhabitants alive in a brick kiln. 

The ancient Semitic name of Amman was first changed to Philadelphia, Greek for brotherly love, by Ptolemy the Second, who reigned from 283 to 246 B.C. and occupied and rebuilt the city. He was supposedly given the nickname of Philadelphus, so it was named Philadelphia after him. 

During the Roman period, Herod took the city in 30 B.C. and it became an important center along the trade route from Syria to the Red Sea. 

Later in Byzantine times, it was the seat of the Christian Bishops of the area. Its importance declined during the 10th century, gradually being reduced to nothing more than a village, until a colony of Circassians settled here in 1878. By the early 20th century there were only about 2000 inhabitants and for almost a century it became little more than a stopping place on the Damascus to Medina railway. 

In 1921, Emir Abdullah made it his headquarters, so it became the central, administrative town and capital of Transjordan. With the foundation of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in 1946 it continued as capital of the Kingdom. Following the troubles in their land west of the Jordan in 1948, many Palestinians settled in the city.

First visit

  1889

opening

    First time 1889

   Second time  1924

The priest’s residence

October 1924

Arrival of the Rosary Sisters

 1925

Opening of the Rosary School

 1949

Construction of the church

1928 (Father Anton Zeitoun and Father Leander Girard)

Blessing of the church

 1929

Construction of priest’s residence

 1929/1928 And 1953/1952